Saturday, January 12, 2013

Ground Beef Pot Pie

Ok I don't usually post a lot of recipes on here because I don't really like to cook. I can do it, but there are other things that I enjoy more....like sitting at my sewing machine, not standing in front of a hot stove, but I digress. We have to eat. Since it's been chilly we have been wanting some comfort foods...enter the Beef Pot Pie. I have only ever had chicken or turkey, also not being a big fan of pot pies either so this was intriguing! The hubby loves them so I obliged, and as it turns out it was super yummy! I may be a turned pot pie fan!


What You'll Need:
1lb 80% lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced unpeeled russet potatoes
2 cups frozen mixed veggies
2 cups diced tomato's with Italian herbs
1-1.5 12oz can beef gravy
1/8 tsp black pepper
1 box refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white, beaten

4-6 individual ovenproof bowls (this recipe made enough for 5 pot pies)
Cookie Sheet
Skillet

Directions:
1. Heat oven to 425. Spray your oven proof bowls with cooking spray and place on cookie sheet. In your skillet cook beef and onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until beef is thoroughly cooked; drain.

2. Stir in potatoes, mixed veggies, tomatoes, gravy and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are almost tender.

3. Removed softened pie crusts from box and place flat on work surface. You can get all fancy with a 5" round cutter, or you can just attempt to cut even circles, then end up with a haphazardly cut one like I did! Presentation not so great, but tastes the same. Cut enough circles for the top and bottom. I like crust, hence the bottom crust, you can easily omit the bottom crust. Place a crust on the bottom and spoon beef mixture evenly into bowls. Place crusts over beef mixture; seal to edges of bowls. Cut several slits in each pie crust. Brush crusts with egg white.

4. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crusts are golden brown.
See what I mean about the haphazard one?
Note: You can use less gravy and go with just one 12 oz can, however we like gravy and that additional 1/2 can really makes the difference when it cooks out a little. You can also add a little chopped parsley to the top of your pie before you bake it for a little added flavor, I forgot it at the store, but it tasted just fine without it!

Yummy Filling!
This recipe was a Pillsbury adaptation!

No comments:

Post a Comment